Summer is in the air!!!
The road safety working group had a display at the Michelin Senior's Exposition held this month. We highlighted the "Move Over Law."
To Make the South Shore of Nova Scotia the safest place to live, learn, work and play.
Welcome to South Shore Safe Communities
South Shore Safe Communities is an iniatiative which brings together a diverse group of individuals and organizations committed to improving the health and safety of our community.
Our organization received its designation from the Safe Communities Foundation, a national organization dedicated to making Canada the safest country in the world to live, learn, work and play, in June 2003.
Why Safe Communities?
- Injury is the leading cause of death for people under the age of 40, killing more than 400 Nova Scotians each year.
- In Canada, more than 650 children die every year from injuries. Another 54,000 are hospitalized.
- Injuries cost the Canadian Health Care system more than $14 billion/year.
- Every $1 spent on Safe Communities saves $40
The outcomes resulting from Safe Communities are immeasurable but include:
- Saving lives
- Preventing injuries
- Reducing the costs to our community
- Improving economic viability of businesses
- Reducing pain and suffering
- Promoting safety as an attitude, not an action
- Getting communities working together
- Creating a better life for our children and grandchildren!!!
If you feel you can make a positive contribution to our organization we invite you to get involved!
Updated October 28, 2013